Monday, October 6, 2008

Organization at it's Finest!



I found these Days of the week corkboards through Ballard Designs. I drooled all over the place just thinking of all the ways I could use these to try and stay organized. I would hang some blank tags and a pen to write myself notes then pin them on the correct date. I could pin theater tickets to Saturday and know just where they are. Princess could decide which days she was buying lunch and which days she was packing lunch then pin a picture of her holding her lunch box on those days so we would know that we needed to pack her lunch the night before. Birthday invitations could be pinned to the party day. All quiz and test days could have their own symbol pinned to the day as a reminder. Oh the possibilities! Each Sunday we could start over and plan for the week ahead and stay organized with just a glance... BLISS.

However... these babies cost a whopping $80.00 plus shipping and handling. Yikes. What is a girl to do? I have my planner and the family all uses it to keep us straight but how nice it would be to have such a lovely hanging reminder. SO, I decided to make my own! YIPEEEEEEEE... Here is what I have done so far:

  • 8 black frames from The Dollar Tree (I wanted one extra for hanging blank tags and pens on)
  • 4 packs of wooden letters from Wal Mart (I decided to spell each day instead of just the first letter but in retrospect I should have stuck with the first letter as the wooden letters I bought were a bit pricey :(
  • 2 four packs of cork from Wal Mart
  • 1 bottle of black paint for the letters
  • A pack of cute thumb tacks
  • 1 Calendar pack from Dollar Tree (not for the calendar but it had cute shapes I can use to tack up on certain days like holiday shapes, dentist, doctor appointments, birthdays...)
  • All of this added up to be about $35.00 which, after shipping and handling, is about 1/3 the cost of the original BUT mine are cuter because the days are spelled out in really pretty font!

I have put the first one together and this is what worked for me:

  • Paint the letters and let dry
  • Take out the glass and cardboard from frame, put the glass aside and use the cardboard as a template to trace onto the cork board.
  • Cut out corkboard
  • Hot glue corkboard to cardboard (this makes it sturdier)
  • Place the glued corkboard into the frame facing out and replace the back of the frame.
  • Hot glue on the letters for the day of the week
  • I will label my extra frame "extras" or "stuff", unless someone can come up with something better!

Once you have all of your supplies, it really doesn't take long to make and they look just beautiful. I will post pictures of mine when complete and also when we hang them. I know just where I want them all in a row but Big D never agrees with me so we will have to wait and see. I'm sure anywhere will look nice and now I'm thinking "what great gifts these would make" HMMMMM, I'll have to think on that... it is what it is!

1 comment:

Cheri said...

You should post a picture of YOUR version! Sounds cute and a great and easy work-around the more expensive version.